SCOPE OF TEACHER EDUCATION
1. Professional commitment and overall competencies of teachers leave much to be desired.
2. The quality of preservice education has not only improved with recent developments in pedagogical science but has actually shown signs of deterioration.
3. Teacher education progranmmes consist mainly of preservice teacher training with practically no systematic programmes of in-service training facilities for which are lacking.
4. There has been an increase in sub-standard institutions of teacher education and these are numerous reports of gross malpractices.
5. The support system provided by the state councils of educational research and training (SCERTs) and the universities department of education has been insufficient and there is no support system.
6. To establish 430 district institutions of education and training (DIETS) have already been established.